You know that feeling? At the SF SPCA, we like to call it “joy overload”— that crazy kind of happy that occurs as soon as you walk through your front door into the waiting paws of an elated pet. Nothing quite compares to the joy experienced when you reunite with your beloved, furry friends. And we ought to know, we've been bringing pets and people together for 150 years.
How did you hear about our 150th anniversary?
Many people think the SF SPCA is a chapter of a national organization. It isn’t. There is no national SPCA. As an independent nonprofit, we don’t receive government funding so we depend on community support to fund our lifesaving programs. Make a difference for the animals of San Francisco. Donate in honor of our 150th anniversary to help support our local efforts to bring pets and people together!
Put your money where your paws are!
The SF SPCA Veterinary Hospitals provide a wide range of services for your pet, including routine check-ups, vaccinations, diagnostic testing, dental work, and emergency care. And all profits directly support animals in need as well as the many innovative programs that the SF SPCA provides to the broader San Francisco community.
Book an appointment today!
Does your furry friend need a check up?
To capture the unique nature of this relationship, we've created The Companion Chronicles, a living archive of timeless stories from those whose lives have been touched by animals.
The animal + human bond
We’re not just an animal welfare organization, we are an animal organization for people.
Together with the help of all the people who have adopted an animal, volunteered their time, or provided financial support, we’ve been able to bring pets and people together, celebrating the magic and meaning that animals bring to all of our lives.
Join us for a year-long 150th fest!
Throughout 2018, we're celebrating with you, San Francisco!
There’s something for everyone from historical exhibits to cat movie nights to a street fair in October.
SF SPCA 150th Anniversary Historical Archive Exhibit
Take a riveting walk through history and see how animals have touched our lives since 1868.
The exhibit runs March 10 - June 17 during regular library hours.
SF Public Library (Main Branch)
100 Larkin Street, 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA
You can make a difference, too To make a lasting impact, we depend on local community support and engagement. Every dollar counts so play your part in helping San Francisco’s animals survive, thrive and find loving homes.
We’re making a difference
The SF SPCA is celebrating 150 years of saving animals and changing lives.
We prevent animal abandonment by providing programs that support pet
guardians, educate the community about the importance of the human/animal
bond, and ensure the animals we rescue are humanely housed, treated and cared for before finding them their forever homes.
Covers the cost to spay or neuter one dog
• Provide veterinary care to the more than 70% of homeless animals who come through our doors each year in need of immediate medical treatment
• Found 5,259 animals their forever homes in 2017
• Work with shelters around the Bay Area to share our animal welfare expertise and help save animals that might otherwise be euthanized
• Our SPORE (Shelters Preventing Outbreaks of Ringworm through Education) program saves more than 350 animals every year and also shares its best practices with rescue organizations across the country to help them better detect, treat, and manage ringworm in their shelters to give even more animals a second chance.
• Perform more than 55,000 exams annually at our two state-of-the art nonprofit vet hospitals
• Provide more than $5 million in charitable veterinary care each year
• To help reduce shelter intake, we spayed or neutered almost 8,000 animals in 2017—76% of these surgeries were discounted or free
• Our Mobile Vaccine Clinics provide preventive veterinary wellness care in the San Francisco neighborhoods that have some of the lowest income levels, highest rates of animal abandonment and preventable illnesses, and virtually no other animal care resources.
• Since 1994, our Community Cats Program has spayed or neutered 31,000+ cats, helping control the City’s feral and free-roaming cat population
• In 2017, more than 5,200 pets and people participated in Behavior & Training classes for canines and cats (yes, we offer cat classes, too!)
• Our Animal Assisted Therapy teams made more than 100,000 visits at 185 facilities across the City in 2017
• Last year, 8,000+ young people became lifelong animal advocates by attending one of our Humane Education programs
Provides one dose of antibiotics for a kitten with an upper respiratory infection
• $37 million operating budget in FY1617
• More than 90% of funds went directly to our Programs
• Named the top Bay Area charity by the San Francisco Chronicle in 2016
• Consistently receive the highest rating possible from independent charity evaluators like Charity Navigator and GuideStar
• One of only 0.02% U.S. charities awarded the Independent Charities Seal of Excellence
Covers the cost of training a shelter volunteer
covers the cost of an intake exam for one homeless animal
provides IV fluids for a sick
animal for one day
Pays for one day of shelter for a homeless animal
You can make a difference, too